Tidbits of Lovell's History

   Lovell was incorporated in October, 1906.  An election was held on October 5, 1906, for the purpose of determining whether or not Lovell should incorporate as a town.  The result of the election showed that forty-two votes were cast in favor of incorporation and none against.  The election inspectors were J. A. Harris, Richard C. May, and Robert J. Bischoff.  An election was held October 26, 1906, resulting in the election of George W. Johnson as mayor and M. David Harris, Frederick H. Ostler, Elias Johnson, and Alma Peterson as members of the town council.   

   A couple of years later, it was thought by some that the incorporation of the town had not been done correctly and proceedings were started to incorporate properly.  The second incorporation was done in May of 1909.  Years later, in 1968, there was a lawsuit brought about against the mayor and council of Lovell by a number of property owners in the town.  The judge's findings at that time were that the 1906 incorporation was done correctly and the 1909 incorporation was null and void.

   In 1887, two cattlemen, Henry Clay Lovell and Anthony Mason brought cattle into the Big Horn Basin region and formed the M-L Ranch on the bank of the Big Horn River.  A small settlement had been established at the present site of Lovell by 1890, but there was no post office to serve the community.  Using his political influence, Mr. Lovell helped to provide this service and the town was named in his honor.

   Other ranchers soon settled along the Shoshone and Big Horn Rivers and on Crooked, Gyp, and Sage Creeks.  Later home-seekers settled in the lower Shoshone Valley, notably a large Mormon colony in 1900, which constructed irrigation systems and thriving towns.  In 1924, a physician, Dr. William Horsley, arrived in Lovell and remained the town doctor for many years.  As a pastime, he grew roses and participated in some of the early research done on the Peace Rose.  Because of this, Lovell is known as the "Rose Town" of Wyoming.